It’s been a whirlwind two weeks between having a house guest for ten days and then heading to Vermont for the house hunt. That said, I didn’t want to leave things hanging but am pretty busy with wine writing and with finishing up my job in Michigan so I decided to do a quick post about myself for those reading this who don’t know me in real life.
- I seem to have an affinity for songs that have something to do with Superman. If they are titled “Superman” or talk about him, chances are I like them. I have no idea how or why this is.
- My favorite mode of travel is train travel. Since college I’ve wanted to do train trips across Europe. Kris and I did a few short trips between cities when bouncing around Western Europe a few years ago. In 2012 Kris, my mom and I traveled from Chicago to San Francisco by train (my mom actually started at New York’s Penn Station and spent THREE nights on various trains) – a two night ride on Amtrak’s famous California Zephyr (train #5). We traveled back to Ann Arbor by going from Portland, OR to Chicago. In 2013 we took our exchange student and one of her friends from Denver to SF and then I brought the girls home LA to Chicago. I would do these types of trips annually – there is something about train travel.
- In 9 days I will be writing full time. I have always wanted to be a writer. I was a teacher who wrote. I am currently a labor relations expert who writes. But after years of putting writing, my true passion, on the back burner and fitting it in the spaces in between I’ve decided to jump in with both feet, moving back to Vermont and writing full time. Most of my writing (for pay) is about wine although I do write about travel sometimes. My dream, of course, is to publish my first novel by 40.
- There are three children in my family. None of us share a biological parent. Not one! We each have a separate set of biological parents but the same people we consider to be our parents. In addition to this, my older siblings are the same age. But aren’t twins. Yeah, I have a unique family. It’s not anything dramatic – my parents adopted my older siblings and then 9 years later there was me… who no one saw coming.
- This year I attended Sundance Film Festival. And it was amazing. We went after the initial weekend to avoid the celebrity crush and it was worth it (although I wouldn’t mind turning to the right to see I’m three bar stools away from Robert Redford. Or Cynthia Nixon (who was in like EVERY movie at Sundance this year)).
- Kris and I RARELY go to the movies. I can probably count the number of times we’ve been to the movies (sans Sundance) on one hand and we’ve been together for nearly ten years. We love documentaries and dramatic films but lean toward indie films that we watch on our couch.
- Kris and I do not usually agree on movies. His favorite film is Good Will Hunting. I have never understood how anyone can sit through, never mind LIKE, that movie. My favorite movie is Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. Kris HATES it. We agree on a ton of documentaries but beyond that it’s tough to get us to agree.
- I love music and apparently have since I was in the womb (if you ask my mom, anyway). I play a few instruments and did throughout school. While I rarely play now I do love live music and have to have music on at all times. I am a snob when it comes to music and I hate hate HATE when people say they want me to listen to something because it’s inevitably pop music. I do not like pop. Well, except for some. Very little. And I don’t like to talk about it.
- My birthday is on Pi Day and when I lived in Vermont a friend of mine and I would always drive to a restaurant in Albany known for their pies during my birthday weekend. They had a pie made of mint chocolate chip ice cream with a chocolate graham cracker crust that might be the best dessert I’ve ever eaten. I wonder if it’s still there.
- I am not always nice but I am shockingly empathic. It hurts me to see others suffer and I am a bleeding heart who can be guilted into nearly anything. Sarah MacLachlan talking about orphaned animals makes me weep, the news makes me upset, and I will give money to aid most causes. I’m not sure where it comes from but I’m a sucker for suffering. Um, that sounds really weird.
Those of you who blog, I challenge you to take some time this week and post ten things about yourself. Let’s get to know each other on a different level.